In event of Winter Weather predicted, there are several things you can do to protect your home.
- Cover all of your outside faucets. You can purchase foam faucet covers or use old blankets to fully cover the spigot that is exposed to the weather.
- Check any areas in your home where pipes are exposed to the weather. This may be crawl spaces, unheated areas, under the home, or exterior walls. Make sure these pipes are covered with foam coverings. Don’t forget the exposed pipes and fittings to your tankless water heater!
- Let water drip from your interior faucets. Be sure to turn on faucets at opposite ends of the home to allow water to slowly move through your lines. If you are concerned about the cost of leaving your faucet dripping, a moderate drip equaling one drop every two seconds results in just under one gallon of additional water usage per day.
- Open cabinet doors under the sinks to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Identify where your water shutoff valve is in case of emergency. All meters have a shut off valve in the meter box but some homes have a separate shut off valve.
If you’re going out of town, take some time to take extra precautions!
- Turn your water off at the shut off valve. This can be done in the meter box.
- Run water from an exterior faucet until all the lines in your home are empty.
- Set your MY WATER ADVISOR to Vacation Mode, so you will know if water is going through your meter at home. You can find a full guide on using MY WATER ADVISOR here: https://www.mastermeter.com/wp-content/uploads/My-Water-Advisor-User-Guide-2.0.pdf
- If MY WATER ADVISOR notifies you of a leak, call our office at 251-626-5554. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. A technician cannot enter your home, but we can go to the home and turn off your meter in the event of an emergency.
What do I do if my lines freeze?
- If your water line freezes, wait for to thaw. Do not attempt to heat the line.
- Be aware that as it thaws, you may have a busted line, to prevent any damage, turn your water off at the meter using the shutoff valve.
- In event of a frozen line, Belforest Water cannot restore water until your lines have thawed completely.
Our phones are answered 24 hours a day! Call 251-626-5554 and a technician will call you back!